Frog N Bones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

X Factor

+5
dolly
ColinS
El_Guapo
Bones
Frog
9 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

X Factor - Page 4 Empty Re: X Factor

Post by El_Guapo 6th October 2010, 11:28 pm

Hmmm ok. I'll give you my honest opions on both sets of videos.

Starting with Katie's audition:

I think she was put off by the judges at the start. She was put on the spot and asked to sing a totally different song than the one she prepared for. Her Freddy Mercury rendition was horrendous lol Having said that though I don't think anyone in their right mind should try and cover Freddie Mercury in an audition as you're only asking for trouble. I can only put it down to nerves making her blurt out the first song that popped into her head.

The second song she sang At Last I thought was excellent. She actually has a very soulful and pleasant voice to listen to and aurally she reminded me a little of Amy Winehouse. I think Katie could make a great soul artist given the right direction and coaching.

Moving on to Anastacia's audition:

Again the first song was horrendous. It was like watching a poor Tina Turner tribute act and Simon Cowell was spot on. We don't need another Tina because the original is still here and going as strong as ever. With the second song she pulled it back a little and proved to everyone she does have a decent voice and there is no doubt she can sing. My only problem with it was I felt like I've seen it all and heard it all before, and done much better too. Singers with Anastacia's style are a dime a dozen and there's nothing really unique about her voice to separate her from the crowd.

My opinions on the performances at Cheryl's house starting with Katie:

She started off well and once again her voice wasn't unpleasant to listen to. She then broke down in tears as she explained the song had certain meaning etc etc blah blah. I think it was damn stupid of her to pick a song that's going to make her burst into tears to the extent she can't finish singing it. A lot of recording companies would quite rightly politely show her the door if she ever was to do that in a commercial environment.

Anastacia's performance:

Once again good but not mindblowing. The girl can sing and she has got talent there is no question. She was no better or worse than at the audition.

So who do I pick?

It's toughie deciding on level of talent alone so I'm also trying to look at it from a business point of view. Ultimately I think I would pick Katie and here's why...

As I said earlier Katie reminds me a little of Amy Winehouse in terms of sound. Amy proved that there is a massive massive market out there for her genre if it's done right. At the moment Amy isn't making music so there's definitely an opportunity to be taken advantage of there if the right potential new artist comes along. I think with a bit of coaching and image managment Katie might take the charts the storm.

Anastacia IMO won't last. I think people would maybe buy her first album because of the novelty of hearing a new voice but interest would quickly fade. She's competing in a very difficult market and she hasn't got enough talent or wow factor to ever last. On top of this I hate to say she hasn't got the necessary looks either. Part of the reason artists like Leona and Beyonce are so successful is because they have the interest of men and women alike. Every man wants to boff them and every woman wants to look like them. At the moment Anastacia's natural genre is already being dominated by the two aforesaid nubian princesses of RnB.

What all this analysing now leads me to ask you is whether you feel the X-Factor should or indeed is a genuine [i talent[/i] show or, whether, and considering the prize is a commercial recording contract, ultimately really a show more akin to The Apprentice?

In other words does the fact that an employment contract is the prize mean that really the entire show is nothing more than a public interview for employment in the music industry?

I gotta say I honestly do think Simon Cowell really is a genuis. What this crafty bugger is doing with the X-Factor is actually making a profit out of advertising and promotion instead of a loss by creating a so called talent show that fools members of the public into parting with their hard earned money in the mistaken belief that they are actually deciding something.

Think about the format for a moment. At the end of every live final the two acts with the least votes face the panel to find out who goes home. So it's not really the audience who decides at all is it because if the panel have someone in the bottom two they want to persevere with then that person stays regardless of the public vote.

By the time it's got to the head to head in the Grand Final the panel give the final decision to the audience because by then to them it doesn't matter which act wins. Either act has generated enough fanbase and interest to be a viable commercial proposition. This is by virtue of the fact they have actually managed to get that far through a process of elimantion based upon market research (i.e public votes) and the judges own personal gut feelings.

Anyway, that post turned out to be a hell of a lot longer than I originally planned for so now I'll shut up...lol
El_Guapo
El_Guapo
Baby Spawn

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 7th October 2010, 9:54 am

My problem with Katie is she's required to perform, live, under pressure & she's not been able to do that on 2 of the 3 occasions that she's been asked to on the show. People we're turned away this year & in previous years because "They were not ready" and if you can't get through 2 of 3 auditions without messing up for whatever reason then that doesn't scream "You're ready" to me. The Girls had a pool of talented singers at the judge’s house. None of them were really weak. I'd personally say that Rebecca & Cher, taking all performances into account, we're the strongest of the girls. The rest seemed around the same ability.

While I do agree with you about Anastasia being "a dime a dozen" I think she or any of the other girls, deserved their chance over Katie. Not because of ability, looks or marketability but purely based on their performance's up to that point. That's what a Talent show should be all about.....

I gotta say, you make sense. It does seem more like a long winded public interview with a large dash of market research. You can't call it a talent show when you continually bend the rules to your own gain and as you've said, until you get to the final the judges have the final say. I remember watching it before when one act was in the bottom three on a few occasions & still managed to stay in the show each time..... Dunno I just wish they'd show consistency because, in my humble opinion, Katie hasn't been amazing enough over the course of the show thus far to warrant her inclusion after such shambolic performances and people have gone for far less hiccups.
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog 9th October 2010, 3:35 pm

Aggh!! Sorry I've been trying to get back to this conversation all week!!

I agree that Katie may be more marketable but I really don't think she'll be going very far in the competition unless she really wows tonight.

That Anastacia interview is funny, she might well have a point but I'd have just held off one more week before burning all my bridges and painting myself as a sore loser Laughing

I'll be working tonight but I'll watch it when I get back in, I'm really looking forward to the show tonight, particularly interested to see how they handle the press attention they've had this week...
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

https://frognbones.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog 10th October 2010, 12:15 pm

Well I have to say that I wasn't massively impressed by the live show last night. None of the acts really wow'ed in the way I'd hoped they would.

I really liked Aiden, Treyc and FYD, Aiden has definitely got something going for him, Treyc is clearly a much hotter Alexandra Burke/Leona Lewis sort of contestant, great voice and great to look at. FYD looked like they were having such fun and that was such the right song for them.

Cher is still my favourite although I thought that the song choice was crap, it didn't give her the chance to shine as a singer or a rapper and I thought she was overpowered by the backing in places.

Still don't get Katie, crap outfit, wrong song, pretty good voice but generally quite dull for me.

And WTF was with the wildcard choices?? Treyc was a good choice but why bring back the sideshow freak Wagner? Diva Feva????? Man they suck so bad! The only reason they're back is because they'rte different to other acts that Simon could have chosen, not bad singers but they don't look right on stage.

Bottom three for me would be Wagner, Diva Feva and Storm. I don't think Storm is a bad singer or even a bad performer but I do think he's missed the boat with his style of singing. 10-15 years ago he could have still got a career but that sort of rock voice doesn't really happen in the charts anymore Dunno
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog 10th October 2010, 12:32 pm

Almost forgot! Mary, great voice but not special enough to get on Susan Boyle sort of bandwagon and John Adeleye, Rebecca and Paije are all good singers that were given boring songs.
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog 10th October 2010, 12:51 pm

And Nicolo? Seriously utter tripe, why are they wasting our time with acts like that when they could have put on 2 hours of REAL competition Rolling Eyes
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 10th October 2010, 5:31 pm

Okay, My verdict:

FYD - What were these guys all about?? Good dancing, not great vocals. They won’t win it but they’ll do okay I think

Matt Cardle - Good performance last night. I thought he did well & I think he’s got that something extra to his voice. Decent song choice, Decent wardrobe, but he’ll need to step it up a bit

John Adeleye - Should never of sung that song. Did well with it, but it was a pretty poor choice. Could’ve cost him his place. Either way, I’m not sure he’s strong enough. I’d need to see him deliver on something else. Whether he gets the chance to is another matter…..

Rebecca Ferguson - I like her but I didn’t like the song chosen or the way she sang it. Required a little more swagger on stage to pull it off, but I think she could do well. Not sure she has enough dimensions to her though & I’d like to see more of her personality shine thorough. And a little more confidence in her ability wouldn’t go amiss

Storm Lee - What complete and utter tosh. How’d this dude get in?? I liked nothing about him last night & if it was up to me he’d be packing up & going home. Needs to change his style & has a lot of work to do. Can’t see him getting past week 2 at best if he’s not on his way tonight.

Belle Amie - Okay, I know I said that Simon got it spot on, but I think I’ll have to retract that statement. These girls were weak when it came to it. Only 2 of them did anything & whoever told that girl she could rap needs a smack. Might be one of the first to go.

Cher Lloyd - Well, I’m a little disappointed with Cher. Fair enough, last nights song was a poor choice, but I’ve noticed that she’s been unable to reach the heights of her first audition. She seems to be getting worse each time rather than getting better which upsets me because the talent is obviously there. I just hope someone can pull her back up before it’s too late….. Come on Cher. Put your back into it! We all know you’ve can do better so do it.

Diva Fever - Shocked WTF!!!???? Is this a group or a solo artist with a mate?? scratch Less than impressive & I think that might’ve been their first & last live performance on this show….. Or at least I hope it is….

Paije Richardson - This guy has got nice vocals & the song choice was okay, though they could’ve found something better for him to sing. My only question. What the Hell was he wearing!!?? Who styled him?? Seriously, whoever did it, don’t EVER do it again!!! Mad

Katie Waissel - She did one thing last night. Proved beyond doubt that she doesn’t deserve her place in the final. Song choice, Poor. Vocals, average. Style, Very very extremely poor!! If she does get to stay she should look to Miss Winehouse for her next song. I’m hoping that she gets voted off at the first opportunity though. What a waste of a place… Rolling Eyes

Mary Byrne - What a powerful voice! Shocked My vote for most surprising performance of the night. She did really well. She won’t win it and may not get very far, but my oh my she sang her heart out last night & put emotion into each and every note. Very impressed by her last night. But that might’ve had more to do with the song.

Nicolo Festa - I don’t get it or him. Why the sunglasses? And how on earth do you sing a song called “Just Dance” without actually dancing? scratch Looked poor & didn’t impress with the vocals. Can’t see him lasting very long.

One Direction - Good choice of name for them, because there is only one direction for them & that’s down…… Man, I really do take back everything I said about Simon & the groups. They looked poor, the sang poor & performed poorly. They’ve really got to step it up if they want to go much further in this competition.

Wagner Carrilho - What’s this guy all about? I’ll tell you. cheese, cheese & more cheese! And he pulled it off cheesily last night! Reminded me of an older version of Chico! He could never hope to win, but he’s certainly entertaining.

Aiden Grimshaw - Did a good job last night. Good vocals, well styled & very good performance. From the guys, if he can keep getting better, he’d be the one to bank on going the furthest.

Treyc Cohen - Helped to prove that Cheryl hasn’t got a clue. How Katie got in ahead of Treyc is beyond me. Fabulous performance last night & she looked really good, especially on the profile view Drool Song choice was great and she really delivered. I see a bright future for this one and an apology from Cheryl should come sooner rather than later.
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 10th October 2010, 9:09 pm

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

How the F*&k did she manage to stay!!!??? Shocked To be fair the song she chose was much better for her. Another indication of Cheryl's total incompetence (yeah, I've got a little something against her....) but saying that, the song only had 4 words!!!! Playing safe & trying not to forget your lines?? Useless bint! Hmph (Yes, again, I have a little something against her too Hmph )

Nicolo deserved to go. Should never have been there in the first place. Lily

F.Y.D were very unlucky. Wasn't very sure about the choice of song, but they pulled it off pretty well. I'm sure we'll see them again. homey

Now, I must go formulate a plan to get that useless bint off this show :cunning:
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog 11th October 2010, 10:41 am

lol I just watched the results and I have to agree, I wanted rid of the bint but she did a better song in the sing off and that is the fairest way to judge it Mad

She'll be gone soon I'm sure :cunning:
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by ColinS 11th October 2010, 2:03 pm

This years contestants are pretty poor, there are only 2 or 3 that are any good and they would have been voted out early on in previous years.
ColinS
ColinS
Citizen of the Pond

Back to top Go down

Post by dolly 11th October 2010, 3:58 pm

I like matt.....I love watching him and his voice is brill.... Waving
dolly
dolly
Hatchling

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Guapo 11th October 2010, 4:33 pm

I thought Cher did ok Embarassed
El_Guapo
El_Guapo
Baby Spawn

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 12th October 2010, 12:16 pm

Well, things seem to be about to go from bad to worse for "The 80's Troll" katie lol (I love that nickname for her!! lol ) anyway, Mommy dearest has been in the papers today asking for the nation not to hate her daughter. She's requested that the nation give her daughter a chance & back her Shocked

Anyone think this plea from mommy might make things a little worse for her?? thinking
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog 12th October 2010, 1:11 pm

I can't see it helping the situation much lol Pwease don't be mean about mummies little angel lol
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by ColinS 12th October 2010, 1:19 pm

Sounds to me like she is/was a spoilt child and mommy to the rescue, maybe it would be different if she could sing.
I can see her being bottom again next week.
ColinS
ColinS
Citizen of the Pond

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 12th October 2010, 1:54 pm

I can see her being bottom every week until she gets the boot, which if rumors are true, X-factor will avoid at all costs.......
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog 12th October 2010, 2:53 pm

It would be pretty bad PR to feed her to the wolves this early on. They have to try and let the publicity die down a bit before they can lose her from the competition. Of course public opinion is easily manipulated so don't be surprised if she starts looking like one of the favourites all of a sudden.
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 12th October 2010, 2:57 pm

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that were to happen. To be honest, I'm kind of expecting it. Personally I'll never buy any song involving her Hmph I wouldn't even download it Hmph Okay, maybe I might download it....... thinking Nah, I just wouldn't Hmph
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by ColinS 12th October 2010, 9:35 pm

I think most people have made their mind up about her, the only thing stopping her going is Simon has got the judges to rally round her.
Mind you that Wagner should not be in the competition he has such bad taste in musical acts.
ColinS
ColinS
Citizen of the Pond

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog 13th October 2010, 8:25 am

Collywollywinglefollydingledallydollydoola cheers

Hi Waving
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by ColinS 13th October 2010, 11:13 am

Hi Master.... Worship

Where has Jez Gone?

Back to topic, can't get excited about X Factor yet, the more i see it, it all seems so fixed, i think once they get rid of the acts that should not have even made it through the first round it might pick up. I think they should scrap the Judges saving acts at the end, it should all be down to the public vote.

Speak again soon LP, say hi to Munch (Wonder if he's got lucky yet).
ColinS
ColinS
Citizen of the Pond

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 13th October 2010, 11:19 am

Well, Apparently the "Troll" has threatened to quit the X-Factor because of the public backlash & "bullying campaign" against her Rolling Eyes Bloody drama queen! Mad If you can't take the heat get the hell outta the kitchen Mad

I hope the Muppet Baby Troll Drama Queen Wannabe does indeed quit Hmph Will save me having to formulate my cunning plan :cunning:
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog 13th October 2010, 11:31 am

It's the same every year Colin, once you start to see through the facade it gets difficult to enjoy, it will get better once they lose a few of the "fillers" Laughing

Have you noticed that Katie's face is the same shape as a snow shovel? thinking
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 13th October 2010, 11:59 am

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol
Bones
Bones