Frog N Bones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Fame Be An Acceptable Reason Not To Perform Jury Service?

+2
Frog
El_Guapo
6 posters

Go down

Should Fame Be An Acceptable Reason Not To Perform Jury Service? Empty Should Fame Be An Acceptable Reason Not To Perform Jury Service?

Post by El_Guapo 1st October 2010, 6:02 pm

According the captain of Plymouth Argyle, Carl Fletcher, it is...

The former Wales international appeared at Plymouth Crown Court to explain he could not perform his duty, saying he had to prepare for a match at Cheltenham Town, and that he was too well-known in the area.

However, Judge Francis Gilbert dismissed his excuses, saying more famous people than him had served on juries.

The judge said: "Jury service is an important public duty everyone has to do, including judges, however well-known they are.

"Captaining Plymouth Argyle is not sufficient reason for not doing jury service. Employers are required to give you time off for jury service as a matter of law.

"So far, what you've said is not sufficient. You will have to come next Monday unless you make a proper application.

"Lots of well-known people, some more famous than you, have been required to sit on juries."

Fletcher snapped: "I am glad I have to pay my taxes to do jury service,” then left the courtroom.

Now whilst I think Carl Fletcher is a bit of an idiot for thinking that captaining Plymouth Argyle makes him "famous" in the first place it does raise an interesting question. Should certain people, with certain levels of fame, be exempt?

I think perhaps it should be. Certain people are going to attract undue publicity to cases. Imagine you were in court on a charge of petty theft or something. Would you really want somebody like Jordan and the paparazzi circus that follows her anywhere near your proceedings?

Maybe defendants should be given the right to object to certain proposed Jury members? What do you all think?
El_Guapo
El_Guapo
Baby Spawn

Back to top Go down

Should Fame Be An Acceptable Reason Not To Perform Jury Service? Empty Re: Should Fame Be An Acceptable Reason Not To Perform Jury Service?

Post by Frog 1st October 2010, 6:55 pm

I think opening it up for the defendant to object might be going a bit far but it's a valid point in the case of major celebrities. I certainly wouldn't want Jordan deciding my fate, forget the press gang I'd be concerned that her judgement is affecting my future Shocked
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

https://frognbones.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Should Fame Be An Acceptable Reason Not To Perform Jury Service? Empty Re: Should Fame Be An Acceptable Reason Not To Perform Jury Service?

Post by munchkin 2nd October 2010, 6:51 pm

baring in mind shedloads of people are complete arseholes,devoid of common sense or sense of duty or justice,but have never been in trouble with the law so that makes them elligable for jury service,i think all jurors should have some sort of iq test before they can judge the fate of others.the jury system is flawed.....i got out of it cos i would of lost loads of money by not working,they pay travelling but only start paying any real money if the trial lasts for ages...... i just told them i was diagnosed depressed and i could not give a fair judgement.....simples............and as a footnote i got called for jury service despite having a criminal record.....dont know the ins and outs of law but i deffo got called up despite my crim record.....it was spent, so like i say i aint a law person so cant tell ya if its allowed and shit.
munchkin
munchkin
baby sperm whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 4th October 2010, 3:42 pm

Just need a criminal record to avoid Jury service huh?? thinking I have a cunning plan :cunning:
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by munchkin 5th October 2010, 1:50 am

my crim convictions are spent so i dont know if that had anything to do with it but i got called up,if you want out them just say you are a bit of a mental case and provide them with the name of the local looney bin.....worked for me,i got a letter back saying that my services would not be required lol.
munchkin
munchkin
baby sperm whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog 5th October 2010, 9:45 am

Pretend you're nutter eh Munchkin?? thinking
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 5th October 2010, 1:55 pm

Well if that's all there is to it I've really got nothing to worry about Laughing
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by munchkin 5th October 2010, 5:45 pm

i dunno if they checked it out or not or just thought to hell with this guy,if they checked the mental health unit they would of seen that i in fact had been a patient,i was admitted to get off the booze and drugs.all i know is they didnt ask me for any proof from the docs or anything.this was a while ago now,dunno if you could get out of it as easy as i did but its worth a punt if you dont want to do it.
munchkin
munchkin
baby sperm whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless Oddball 8th October 2010, 10:11 am

Juries should be a profession not some fool off the street
Jobless Oddball
Jobless Oddball
Loves a bit of Cock

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 8th October 2010, 10:15 am

If it was a profession then it could easily manipulated..........
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless Oddball 8th October 2010, 11:11 am

NR_TOAB wrote:If it was a profession then it could easily manipulated..........

And it isn't now?
Jobless Oddball
Jobless Oddball
Loves a bit of Cock

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 8th October 2010, 11:16 am

Not easily LP
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless Oddball 8th October 2010, 11:19 am

NR_TOAB wrote:Not easily LP
It's manipulated daily by people's racist, sexist, ageist and bigoted views

Ever been on jury service?
Jobless Oddball
Jobless Oddball
Loves a bit of Cock

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 8th October 2010, 11:25 am

Yes, that's true. That in itself is something which cannot be helped as those views are opinions which everyone is entitled to. But that's not the kind of manipulation I was thinking about. I'm thinking more on the lines of having certain people on Jury to help or hinder a case. It's easier to manipulate a small pool than a random one.........

Never been on Jury service and hopefully I never will be LP Why do you ask?
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless Oddball 8th October 2010, 11:56 am

NR_TOAB wrote:Yes, that's true. That in itself is something which cannot be helped as those views are opinions which everyone is entitled to. But that's not the kind of manipulation I was thinking about. I'm thinking more on the lines of having certain people on Jury to help or hinder a case. It's easier to manipulate a small pool than a random one.........

Never been on Jury service and hopefully I never will be LP Why do you ask?

I didn't realise people were entitled to have racist views

When you go on jury service you'll definetly agree with me Waving
Jobless Oddball
Jobless Oddball
Loves a bit of Cock

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 8th October 2010, 12:06 pm

Of course people are entitled to "racist" views. People are entitled to any views they want. The problem doesn't come in until they act on those views. Everyone holds a prejudice towards something or someone for good, little or no reason. It's a bit wrong to tell people they can hold a prejudice against one thing for one reason but not against another thing for the same reason. Afterall, you seem to have a prejudice towards anyone with views which you would classify as "Racist". How does your prejudice differ to theirs? And why are you entitled to your prejudice but they are not entitled to theirs??

If I go on Jury service I’ll be sure to let you know my thoughts on the experience.
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Guapo 8th October 2010, 2:22 pm

I'm inclined to agree with NR.

The whole point of having 12 laymen picked at random to act on a jury is to ensure there is a fair representation of society.

If you only pick people with certain political views (i.e. non-racist whatever that actually means) that in itself is biased and the outcome would be unfairly reached. Using the same methodology would it be fair to te defendant to have a jury consisting of only Labour voters or Tories? Depending on the nature of the offence of course not.

It's not members of the jury and their own personal views that are on trial. Until you commit a criminal offence everyone has the right to think whatever the hell they like.
El_Guapo
El_Guapo
Baby Spawn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog 9th October 2010, 3:39 pm

"Didn't realise people were entitled to have racist views"??

How exactly do you propose to police our thoughts then? lol lol
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by EarthsAngel 11th October 2010, 3:23 pm

I don't agree with professional Jurors, but they should be chosen carefully, they hold your future in their hands, I would object to some yob having any kind of say in a court of Law.
EarthsAngel
EarthsAngel
Hatchling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down