Frog N Bones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Missing! Have you seen this arcade?

3 posters

Go down

Missing! Have you seen this arcade? Empty Missing! Have you seen this arcade?

Post by El_Guapo 6th August 2010, 2:30 pm

Consoles.

They're great...

But they are also responsible for the death of something once held very dear and close to me.

If I close my eyes I can still remember clearly how my heartbeat used to race as I approached with mounting excitement. Breathlessly, as the smell of stale tobacco would fill my nostrils, I would clutch the silver coins in my pocket that would soon be my passport to another world where anything was possible.

What am I talking about? The arcade room of course.

Every male over the age of 25 will know exactly what I'm talking about. As consoles have developed and advanced the arcade room of yesteryear has slowly faded into non existence. Never again will we find that magical room filled with rows and rows of those big hulking machines with their glowing visage irresistibly beckoning to every wide eyed little boy.

Our present day counterparts nowadays happily slot their brand new shiny compact disk containing the lastest instalment of Splinter Cell into their latest Megatron 3000 console with barely a second thought. With even less thought they then discard it after five minutes of playing and move on to GTA XXXIV. Choice has spoilt their appreciation. How many children of today will EVER experience the same emotion when popping in another CD as we did when seeing Dragon's Lair running for the first time?

Nothing seems to amaze anymore. With every new console that is released those screams of joy seem to be that little bit more muted as realism becomes a substitute for entertainment. With every new console that is released one more potential friend made in the arcade room is lost. With every new console that is released one more hour of studying the chinese boy who can finish Final Fight with one credit is gone.

We owe it to our ourselves to remember the classics that laid the paving stones to where we find ourselves today. Classics such as R-Type, Rastan, Samurai Showdown, Chase HQ, Pitfighter, Roc n Rope, Spyhunter...The list really is never ending.

Now excuse me while I go off and shed a few tears of heartfelt and tearful nostalgia.
El_Guapo
El_Guapo
Baby Spawn

Back to top Go down

Missing! Have you seen this arcade? Empty Re: Missing! Have you seen this arcade?

Post by Bones 6th August 2010, 2:36 pm

Sad Sad Sad Beautiful......... Just beautiful Sad Sad Sad
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Missing! Have you seen this arcade? Empty Re: Missing! Have you seen this arcade?

Post by Frog 6th August 2010, 3:53 pm

Bravo my friend, truly beautiful words about a golden era Sad
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

https://frognbones.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Guapo 6th August 2010, 4:44 pm

It's sad to think of how we've lost that social aspect arcade rooms used to give isn't it? Xbox live is a poor substitute IMO.

This clip will bring a tear to your eye...lol The year was 1983 and Don Bluth was light years ahead of his time. Whilst other programmers were stuggling to master the BASIC computer language good ole Don was burning games on to laserdisc!