Frog N Bones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driving down the right road...........

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Driving down the right road........... Empty Driving down the right road...........

Post by Bones 1st March 2011, 8:50 am

Young women could face big increases in the cost of car insurance, if insurers are told that they have to stop quoting different prices for men and women.

The European Court of Justice will decide whether it is a form of sex discrimination which should be banned.

If so, some women drivers in the UK could eventually face 50% rises in the cost of insuring their cars.

The ruling could affect the cost of pension annuities, life assurance and health cover as well.

The gulf between men's and women's motor cover is particularly wide for drivers who have recently passed their tests.

Nick and Emma Lane, a brother and sister from Bishop's Stortford, feel the difference more acutely than most.

'Ridiculous'

Nick and Emma are twins. They are 18 years old, so they suffer from the highest insurance rates.

More than that, they each had three attempts at the driving test before passing. And they succeeded within weeks of each other.

They are as similar as drivers can be, apart from the difference in sex.

Yet when they fed their details into an online price comparison site, Nick's motor insurance quote was twice as high.

"I don't like it all," Nick says. "I think it's ridiculous that I have to pay double the amount she does when we're not actually that far apart in terms of driving ability."

Lower premium

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) argues that people get a deal which accurately reflects their situation.

Insurance broker Mike Williams thinks it is unlikely that men's premiums will come down "The facts show young male drivers are most at risk of accidents on the road, so young women currently pay a lower premium for their car insurance," explains the ABI's Nick Starling.

The quotes that Emma and Nick received were for a 1.2 litre Vauxhall Corsa from 2003. They reflect the 58% increase in rates suffered by the 17-22 age group over the past year.

But while Emma's best quote was an uncomfortable £1,700, Nick's was an eye-watering £3,400.

"It does seem a bit unfair," says Emma. "But it's all right for me because I have to pay less."

Of course, if the ruling goes against her then, eventually, she would have to pay a great deal more.

Wishful thinking

The ABI suggests that young women could face an average increase of 25%, rising to 50% for the least experienced.

Research published by the insurers at the end of last year estimated that men under 25 could expect a 10% fall in premiums on average.

That is wishful thinking, according to many in the insurance industry.

"It's entirely certain that women's premiums will go up. I don't think there's any chance whatsoever that men's premiums will come down," says a leading insurance broker, Mike Williams.

"And the reason for that is that men have more accidents and when they have accidents they're more expensive."

And Nick Lane has this confession to make: "I did nearly kill a cat in one of the driving tests I failed. But I'm really not that bad a driver."

Should women be treated differently when it comes to insurance?

(Source: BBC News Website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12600284 )
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Driving down the right road........... Empty Re: Driving down the right road...........

Post by Bones 1st March 2011, 9:00 am

Personally, I'm delighted at this news! Finally a step towards actual equality! This has got to be the only good thing the EU courts have done for a while if they pass the correct ruling. It's scandalous that women get cheaper car insurance just because they are women! Mad Before anyone argues that women have less accidents, when that was first calculated there were not as many female drivers as male drivers. Now however, it's a different story. Women tend to CLAIM less but don't actually have less accidents. I can't tell you the amount of times I've seen a woman putting on make-up whilst driving with her knees Mad I'd also put money on it that more women take or make phonecalls & texts while driving than men. We know you can multi task ladies, but that's taking the piss a bit don't you think?

Truth be told, I actually know more women who have been involved in car accidents than men Shocked Hopefully this'll be the first step in true equality between the sexes Yahoo Thumbs up
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Driving down the right road........... Empty Re: Driving down the right road...........

Post by Bones 1st March 2011, 2:05 pm

Judgement made cheers Yahoo Lily

Only downside is it won't get cheaper for dudes Sad Just more expensive for Dudettes Dunno Which dudes might end up paying anyway scratch Swear
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog 10th March 2011, 12:50 pm

Ok I missed the boat on this debate but I still don't see this as sexist. It's all about accident statistics and if teenage boys keep smashing up their cars then insurance companies have to respond to it. What has happened now is a big dose of positive discrimination to make us feel like we're being fair, now we're just going to charge sensible drivers more and insurance companies are going to get richer. Who actually won in this case Dunno
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

https://frognbones.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 10th March 2011, 1:21 pm

The insurance companies are the only winners here really Laughing

I think it's more a case teenagers keep smashing up cars & as such they should be treated the same, male or female. What does bug me is once people are past 25 why did the split still exist? Stats are surely more equal then. Why should a careful 30 year old woman pay less for insurance than a careful 30 year old man? Dunno
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog 10th March 2011, 2:47 pm

Without seeing the stats it's hard to call on that one, at a glance I found that twice the number of men are killed every year in car crashes but that doesn't say who was driving.

What's more dangerous, road rage and macho bullshit or plain dittsyness and not paying attention. I guess those are the two biggest causes of accidents by each gender Dunno
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 10th March 2011, 2:52 pm

Not forgetting putting on make-up whilst driving with knees, or taking that all important text from a mate to tell you that your shoes are finally in LK Bennett.... Laughing
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog 10th March 2011, 3:02 pm

Or waving at Sandra whilst explaining to your terrified passenger that she hasn't been the same since the operation Laughing
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 10th March 2011, 3:21 pm

lol lol lol
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog 10th March 2011, 3:41 pm

Or my personal favourite, changing your mind about where you're going without considering how that might dramatically affect anyone else on the road around you Mad

Or braking on ice.......... Laughing
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by jezebel 11th March 2011, 2:36 pm

I say it's crap!!..yes we should be treated differently!!....gotta go with the stats here!!...... Hmph ...all that will happen is the girls premiums will go up...the boys will be able to drive sooner......they'll be more accidents coz the stats prove that...then ALL our premiums will go up even more!!........ Driving down the right road........... 581813
jezebel
jezebel
Queen of Flirt......

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 11th March 2011, 2:53 pm

Yes, I agree, but once both sexes are over 25 (You could actually go with over 21) the stats equalise. Especially at that point it's very unfair to charge people according to sex.

Secondly, there are vast amounts of careful young male drivers out there who get stung just because they're young & male. It's only fair to sting everyone because they're young. It's what all those women burned their bras for.

Also, it's only been lately that there has been a more equal amount of young Male & Female drivers on the road. With more young male drivers on the road, it would stand to reason that young men have more accidents than young females...... Bet it won't stay that way though......
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by jezebel 11th March 2011, 3:13 pm

thinking I kinder partly agree with you.....cept about the bra burning thing.... Nope ...my bras are way too expensive to do that!!..... Nope ...well if the stats equalise after 25....the premiums should equalise too!!....Tis only fair...... Thumbs up ...but arn't they talking about under 25's in this new ruling tho!!??.....
jezebel
jezebel
Queen of Flirt......

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 11th March 2011, 3:27 pm

No, they're talking about everyone. To only do it to Under 25's would be ageist....... Dunno Actually, that's probably gonna be the next one. Rolling Eyes
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by jezebel 11th March 2011, 3:37 pm

Shocked but..our premiums equal out as we get older anyway don't they??..well almost they do!!...surely this will only affect the younger drivers!!.... thinking
jezebel
jezebel
Queen of Flirt......

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 11th March 2011, 4:02 pm

Not quite, as I understand it, as we get older our premiums become more based on our driving histroy (No claims, length of time driving, etc), however, our gender still plays a heavy part. This was proven when 2 people of the same age & driving experience, but different genders tried to insure the same car. The woman would ALWAYS get a cheaper quote than the man. Some Married men even went as far as to let their wives insure the car in her name & then be named as a second driver. this made the premium cheaper for the dude, but had the downside of him not being able to accrue his own No Claims Bonus.

It will affect older female drivers too, though this will only be by a few hundred pounds (Because insurance is cheaper when you're older) rather than around £1,500 - £2,000 Shocked
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by jezebel 11th March 2011, 4:10 pm

thinking yes...you're right!!....my insurance is cheaper than my partners....even tho we're the same age and have the same no claims!!...not much....but abit!!.... Dunno .....but...in saying that.....he drives like an idiot....and I don't!!........ Dunno ...so what does that say!!... Driving down the right road........... 581813
jezebel
jezebel
Queen of Flirt......

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 11th March 2011, 4:15 pm

If neither of you have ever had a crash, how do the insurance company know he drives like an idiot? Dunno They should charge you both equally as your driving history is equal, therefore the risk is equal......... It's only fair Dunno
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by jezebel 11th March 2011, 4:22 pm

Rolling Eyes He does crash!!..((not into cars..just bollards...curbs.....trees...)& stuff)..he just never claims and his car looks like a piece of shit!!..... Dunno
jezebel
jezebel
Queen of Flirt......

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 11th March 2011, 4:28 pm

And there's the trick. Wink Many young women never claim either which makes the figures look off......
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog 11th March 2011, 9:39 pm

There's always a guy with his wallet getting stung paying her repairs so he has to claim when an uninsured youth drives into him lol
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog 13th March 2011, 2:19 pm

It occurs to me that the only logical conclusion to this development is one price for all drivers, insurance companies will have to take an average of their costs and produce one premium to suit all. If not then they are accused of being ageist or sexist, so does that mean that we actually want to become a communist state?
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 14th March 2011, 8:48 am

thinking I think that one price for all drivers wouldn't quite be fair, but it would be slightly fairer than calculating the premium based solely on age or gender when it comes to driving ability, your chances of being involved in an accident and a claim being made as a result of that accident. I guess it could be calculated on the amount of time you've been driving as it would stand to reason that a new driver is slightly more likely to be involved in an accident...

But then, there is this wonderful little box tracking thing now which they are installing in the cars of young new drivers. This box tracks the way that particular person drives and they can then be assessed on those merits rather than being assessed as a part of whichever group they happen to fall into. This makes for a slightly fairer way of calculating someone's insurance premium rather than making them suffer for the worst members of their age or gender group.
The only downside to this is the fact that your car is constantly being tracked, but then is that really any different from having SATNAV installed in your car? Dunno

thinking Whichever way it's looked at someone will probably say it's unfair, but my only thing is that women have fought long & hard for equality. Is it really equal if they can decide to use the equality card or put it away only when it works in their favour? If equality is what is desired then the rough needs to be taken with the smooth, otherwise all we're doing is making sure that some people are more equal than others..... Depending on the situation..... And that can’t be very fair for anyone….. Can it? thinking
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by jezebel 18th March 2011, 11:27 am

Hmmmm..... thinking ....liking the little satnav box checker thing........ thinking ...bit big brother but could be fair........ Jezabel ..long as I can turn it off when I've had a drink!!....... Driving down the right road........... 581813

Suspect that woz a joke Suspect
jezebel
jezebel
Queen of Flirt......

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog 28th March 2011, 8:55 am

I like the black box idea! You could go further with it and only charge people road tax based on the amount of driving they do.

People should be assessed on driving ability to determine their premiums, I know that's easier said than done but how else could it be deemed fair?
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum