Smoking ban good but not good enough?

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Smoking ban good but not good enough?

Post by Bones on 16th September 2009, 6:10 pm

Well by that definition I'm not addicted then. That's good to hear.

Secondly my rule is simple. Don't come to my house if you can't abide by my rules. A rule in my house is that I'm free to smoke as are other smokers without having to hear people complain about it. Another is repsect my property. Can't do those or any of my other rules then don't visit. A rule in your house would probably be no smoking. If I couldn't abide by your rule should I come to your house & ignore that rule or not come at all?

The comparison was of the actual venue & the fact that from outside you can't see what's going on inside, not what happens in there & there are loads! Clearly not as in the view of the public as you thought.....Wink

Being naked is also a natrual state which requires no respect but for some reason people, by law, must wear clothes in public?

Don't like lynx? Well there's Sure, Right Gaurd or you could pick an Aftershave. Or maybe Fabreeze. Does wonders for fabrics Wink
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones on 17th September 2009, 10:42 am

Bottom line is we all face the consequences of our own choices. We are given the information on smoking & many of us continue to do so knowing the risks, just like many people continue to drink, knowing the risk & many people continue to drive, knowing the risk. I'm a big boy & don't need someone telling me what I can & can't do to my body. I enjoy smoking so I smoke. When I stop enjoying it I'll stop. Simples!

I just don't think it's fair for people to insist on a venue being non smoking when they would never step foot in the place either way. Have smoking pubs where people can choose to go or not & have non smoking pubs where people can choose to go or not. Choice is what is being taken away and simply it’s a discriminatory action to insist that every public house in the land be non smoking. Funny that you can smoke in the House of commons estate though……. Do as I say not as I do me thinks……

And anyone who has a problem with smokers & drinkers (Not drug users & I know nobody here has said so thus far) receiving NHS treatment should have a look where a lot of NHS funding comes from. It doesn't cost £4 to make & ship a pack of 20 cigarettes...... Figures show that tax from smoking has contributed around about £10 BILLION to the NHS in 1 year & I'm not even going to start on Alcohol......

As I said, I know the risks & so does every other smoker. Let us get on with it. It’s our lives after all…….. They’ll probably after the drinkers next, yet alcohol causes more deaths directly & indirectly than smoking ever has or ever will…… But people enjoy that vice so it’s okay.
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog on 17th September 2009, 10:47 am

Bravo NR, Bravo.
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

http://frognbones.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog on 17th September 2009, 12:58 pm

Jealous Moon
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog on 17th September 2009, 1:10 pm

Of our out of breath brotherhood. The band of wheezers that we have become, united in soot and forged in the fires of smelly fingers.

Join us Ty, you know you want ot Twisted Evil
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones on 17th September 2009, 1:10 pm

Ah, the "you'll die from smoking" argument Rolling Eyes

If I quit will I live forever? No..?? Don't see the point then Laughing LP Wink
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones on 17th September 2009, 1:36 pm

My defence is simple. I'm the only one who has to face the consequences of my actions from smoking so I should be allowed to decide if I smoke or not. Please explain how that's bollox.... scratch

Have you the same reservations about alcohol?
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog on 17th September 2009, 1:42 pm

So what happens when an immovable object meets an unstoppable force?
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones on 17th September 2009, 1:46 pm

Not sure..... We might be about to find out....
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones on 17th September 2009, 4:01 pm

Or not....... cheers
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones on 18th September 2009, 11:39 am

Rolling Eyes You still haven't told me how my defence is bollocks.......

You don't feel the same about alcohol, yet 3 drinks can kill the person drinking & those around them. 3 cigarettes won't have that effect Evil or Very Mad

Smoke 20 a day and you may develop problems
Drink 20 cups of coffee a day & you may develop problems
Take 20 headache tablets a day & you may develop problems

Your argument over this holds little water. As I said, I'm a big boy & if I'm not harming anyone I should be able to do pretty much as I please. Ban cigarettes altogether & all it'll do is create more criminals, more crime & more funding for the black market. What's the point? If the sick don't care why should the doctor?
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog on 18th September 2009, 12:21 pm

Tytonidae wrote:
Syl wrote:I meant is as the Americans did, as in booze. (I was tired) Very Happy Waving

No no Syl, I get you ok, I'm just not as sure of my ground on us all giving up the booze Wink after all, gotta die of something Wink Chin Chin

Are you trying to get lynched Ty? rofl
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones on 18th September 2009, 12:28 pm

F**k it! Make it all legal! One way to sort out the ever growing world population! lol!
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog on 18th September 2009, 12:41 pm

I like that idea, kill them off with a smile on their faces Very Happy
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones on 22nd September 2009, 10:18 am

Actually, drinking is so grown up & so much more dangerous..... Something we see children doing younger & younger....... There are more young binge drinkers than young smokers...... But funnily enough you have nothing to say about that. Suspect

If you cared about human life & today’s younger generation as much as you say you would campaign against drinking much more than smoking as drinking ruins many more lives... Yet you don't..... scratch Drinking kills more, is more addictive & affects people indirectly much more than smoking, but that's okay because you like it, right?

Is it just me or is that not slightly hypocritical? Suspect

Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog on 22nd September 2009, 10:20 am

Ah the old smoking kills but so does drink merry-go-round, where will it stop, nobody knows Bella
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones on 22nd September 2009, 10:28 am

It's a merry-go-round because I really can't understand how they can be so hypocritical. I have my vices so I live & let live. I certainly wouldn't sit on my high horse telling people that what they do is so very wrong & disgusting when what I do is just as bad if not worse....... Evil or Very Mad

Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones on 22nd September 2009, 11:49 am

Smoking in moderation is not harmful either........ I quite like the taste of smoking. It feels good to me. Much better than being drunk & I won't wake up with a hangover from having 20 cigarettes in one day. From what I can see, smoking doesn't make you a "social outcast" as even non smokers will stand outside a pub and in doorways with the large groups of smokers which you also complained about......

Smoking doesn't impinge on normal human activity. How many people have died because of a drink driver? How many because of a driver who had a cigarette? A cigarette can ease stress & make you a more efficient worker a few drinks at lunch can seriously affect the quality & speed of your work..... Smoking can give you lung cancer, drinking can give you liver cancer........ Drinking is much more addictive than cigarettes & on a Friday & Saturday night drinking is responsible for more damage & crime than smoking ever has been or ever could be....... Drinking can make you aggressive, smoking clams you down....

I'm not seeing much merit to drinking over smoking here.... Drinking is not only far worse for the drinker, but is also far worse for people who may come into contact with that drinker..... Someone could have three drinks & kill a family, three cigarettes doesn't have the same effect........

How can you condemn smoking yet condone drinking when alcohol all round is far more destructive? scratch

Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones on 22nd September 2009, 12:47 pm

(Q) Who the hell smokes in moderation, not many and anyway, a few fags is harmful in various ways. Smoking goes on all day long.
(A) Many people are social smokers, so only smoke when out. Most smokers will smoke up to 10 over the course of 24hours. That is smoking in moderation. Most drinkers will actually drink to excess, especially the younger generation who try to fit in a months' worth of drinking in 2 days. Turn up at A&E on any weekend & see if they were drinking in moderation....

(Statement) It might taste good to you NR but you can bet your sweet life it won't to your kissing partner, unless this person is a smoker too. It stinks, face it!
(Reply) Stinking like a brewery is just as off putting to those who don't drink and can be even worse. In fact smelling like a drink which your kissing partner doesn't drink will be off putting for them. Alcohol stinks on varying levels & lingers for a very long time.... Also many detest the taste of alcohol which is why they created alcopops & even those taste foul.... face it.....

(Statement) Haha - there's nothing 'sociably' appealing about standing in a freezing cold doorway, cluttering the environment with your presence and your pollution and the non-smokers will all be talking behind your back about how they felt obliged to stand there with you! they'll not say it to your face because they're socially tied in and it weakens resolve.
(Reply) Not sure what type of friends you have, but with my friends anything they would say behind my back they would & more than likely have said to my face. They're not puppets & they have their own mind. To suggest that they are is very disrespectful to them. The fact that groups of people gather to indulge in smoking shows that it is rather social, just like drinking is........

(Statement) Did you read the figures on the health effects on children of smokers?
(Reply) No, did you read the figures on the effect on children of Alcohol? How many children have been abused whilst their abuser is under the influence of alcohol? How many children have suffered because their parents were alcoholics? How many children were concieved whilst their parents were under the influence of alcohol? How many teenage mothers were under the incluence of alcohol when concieving? How many women raped whilst their attacker was under the influence of alcohol? How many men?
Now how many of the above can also be said of smokers? Suspect

You're attempting to justify drinking over smoking. I'm showing you that your attempted justification of what is a far more dangerous, addictive & destructive past time than smoking is even worse than anyone attempting to justify smoking....

Are you really going to try and convince me & yourself that drinking is safer than smoking? Neutral

Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog on 22nd September 2009, 12:51 pm

Can I just say that I am actually loving this debate, we should lock you two in a room with some more topics.
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones on 22nd September 2009, 12:52 pm

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

You think drinking is safer than smoking?? Seriously??? Shocked Shocked You're joking right? Suspect

Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones on 22nd September 2009, 12:55 pm

Mano? What, the comic book guy? scratch

Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones on 22nd September 2009, 1:08 pm

But I don't...... Crying or Very sad

Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog on 22nd September 2009, 1:12 pm

Mano a Mano was a one on one debating thread on the Spa but the only people that ever stepped into the ring were me and Micky. It was cool, you take a turn each to post and after you'd got to the end of it a vote was cast on the winner.
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones on 22nd September 2009, 1:20 pm

Oh. Sounds groovy!

Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top