Frog N Bones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strike it Unlucky.......

2 posters

Go down

Strike it Unlucky....... Empty Strike it Unlucky.......

Post by Bones 16th December 2009, 11:11 am

Another union threatening strike action. B.A are planning a high court battle to place a ban on the proposed strike action.

It seems to me that all this striking affects average Joe in the street more than the companies. First the postal strikes made life a nightmare & now these employees are set to disrupt Christmas holidays.

Where do you place the blame for this? I, for one, don't blame B.A at all. I'm tired of unions disrupting average Joe so that they can get their own way.

What do you think?
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Strike it Unlucky....... Empty Re: Strike it Unlucky.......

Post by Bones 16th December 2009, 11:30 am

But the average Joe didn't do anything Dunno

Personally I'd like to see a company liquidate when a strike happens. See what they all do for jobs then.....
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 16th December 2009, 11:53 am

BA workers are the highest paid in the industry. Their cabin crew are paid DOUBLE what Virgin's cabin crew are paid. Perks & benefits galore are theirs.

In some circumstances I can fully support strike action & most people would. In this circumstance I don't see the need for it. B.A want to Freeze pay for some of their cabin crew, although they will still get a pay rise within the next 2 years. Axe some jobs, which is understandable as they are losing money hand over fist at the moment & place less crew on flights. I don't see anything wrong with that? do you?
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog 16th December 2009, 12:28 pm

Nightryder championing the bullying of staff scratch This doesn't sound right to me. I'm betting that you're only on the dark side of this argument because YOU are the average Joe that you speak of. The nightryder I know would never support the little man getting stepped on.
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

https://frognbones.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 16th December 2009, 12:42 pm

I don't support the little man being stepped on. I just don't see the problem with what BA has placed on the table. With the company losing money hand over fist & then this strike, we could well be looking at the beginning of the end for BA. The changes they are proposing would ensure these people still have Jobs next year and beyond. Strike action would make that very difficult. If BA went under & these people had to find Jobs elsewhere they would realise that they would actually be worse off. A lot worse off…..

A strike over the Christmas period is also rather cold hearted. The holidays which would have to be cancelled could ruin Christmas for many people. Many people who work in far worse conditions than the staff ready to go on strike..... Many people who earn far less than the 50K+ pa that the union boss picks up......

We are talking about the best paid staff in their position in the industry with the best perks. How are they being bullied? Dunno

A strike, especially at this time of year, shows very little compassion for the average Joe like me. In this situation, it seems to me that the little guy being stepped on is average Joe, and the big guy doing the stepping is Union bosses & these staff.......
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog 16th December 2009, 12:53 pm

Embarassed You actually have a real opinion on this then Embarassed I was just messing with ya Wink
Frog
Frog
Froggy Style
Froggy Style

https://frognbones.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 16th December 2009, 1:02 pm

Yeah, I have a real opinion on this, but only because I don't understand the viewpoint of the unions & staff on this particular matter. To me what they are doing makes no sense and I am yet to meet anyone who can explain it to me scratch

I understood the postal strikes, but was well annoyed because all the stuff I wanted took ages to arrive. Funnily enough my bills always seemed to find their way through my letter box..... Laughing
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 16th December 2009, 3:09 pm

It's a fight which doesn't require such drastic action, imo. They are on a very good thing compared to others in the same job. The cabin crew are on close to 30k a year at BA. The next best is apparently around 20K a year, yet they are complaining that they may have to go without a pay rise for 1 year. Our boys & girls risking their lives abroad don't earn what these people do, but for them it's not enough.......

Jobs going thick & fast all over the country, especially up in the North East of England, but they are complaining about a few job cuts.

Compared to many others in many other industries, at the moment they are on a very, very good thing.

I understand that strike action helped us get to where we are today when it comes to work, but what will this strike action prove? What are they striking for? Because they want to be on an even better thing? A very, very Good thing doesn't seem to be enough so they want a very, very, very, very good thing? Where does it stop? Dunno

And the masterminds behind it all, they'll be sitting in their plush offices earning 50K+ pa. The outcome of this doesn't affect them so it seems easy to make a decision. I guess they booked their summer & winter holidays with Virgin.....
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 16th December 2009, 3:27 pm

Just finished reading this & now I'm even more against it! They don't deserve the money they are on at the moment & imo, should be doing much more to earn that kind of salary. Long haul staff are rightly paid more than short haul staff & Heathrow is busier & flies to more destinations than Gatwick does it not?
The pay difference is understandable to me. When you consider the service these people give, you have to look & see that Virgin cabin crew (on half the money & half the perks) give far superior service & so do a lot of other airlines staff......

I think that these people have a cheek striking. They are using a drastic course of action to settle little more than how many cups they have to refill.
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 16th December 2009, 3:55 pm

Laughing It gets even worse Laughing They're not doing a very good job at creating sympathy.

Take a look at what a nurse does, what they have to put up with & how much they get paid...... They do much more than any cabin crew and do not earn close to 30K pa

Take a look at what teachers do & put up with compared to how much they get paid...... Much more work, although they do have a lot of holidays & they always seem to be training... Laughing

Some people who fly are going on holiday. Take a look at what the holiday rep does & has to put up with & how much they get paid.... They do a hell of a lot more than cabin crew, work 20 hour days with 1 day off per week and their basic pay, including their allowances? About £400 a month.......

I have even less sympathy for them now. I hope they go on strike, BA lose a lot of money & then BA goes under. They could stay on strike forever. Greedy lazy people Mad

And our forces fighting abroad are doing far more work in far worse conditions....... but are they picking up 30K a year???
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 16th December 2009, 3:58 pm

Also, nobody forced these people to take these Jobs. I don't wanna flip burgers for £5.10p an hour so I don't work in a fast food joint. What sense does it make to walk into the job, knowing what I'll be doing & then complaining about it even though others do the same job & more for much less?
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 16th December 2009, 5:19 pm

The hang of this union lark is simple. Do as we want or we bully you into doing it by going on strike and making sure that you can't hire anyone to replace your striking workforce.

In the current employment climate I'm sure that BA would be able to replace it's entire workforce if they could offer these conditions & rates of pay to just a fraction of the unemployeed out there.

Why do these staff want to stirke instead of leave the job? Simple, they know as well as we do that they have it very cushty at the moment & there is nowhere else where the could find their working conditions, perks & salary.

You're right, there is no room for gratitude. These people should thank their lucky stars that they have it so good.

In my opinion they are nothing more than greedy workshy people out for everything they can get. I back BA 110% against these ungrateful "employees" & I hope that their strike actions backfires on them big time.
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 17th December 2009, 11:10 pm

Fantastic news!! A wonderful day cheers And bad news at the same time I fear......

With this particular strike action, I'm delighted that it was deemed illegal for the right reasons. I totally agree that "old-style trade union militancy" is not going to resolve anything here. The unions need to understand that if BA is no longer profitable, what they are doing is placing the jobs of their members at risk. We have good employment laws in place which favour the employee more than the employer. Unions need to find a way to work side by side with companies to help them go forward. The more successful a company is the better it can be for their employees & that is what a union is supposed to achieve.....

On the other side, I do hope that this does not affect the rights of employees to strike IF it is deemed a step which must be taken to resolve serious issues & there are no alternatives. I fear that this will come up again and I can only hope that when it does the right decisions are made based on the facts relevant to that case.

For me, a company is useless if it has no customer loyalty and if a company has no customer loyalty it will struggle to make money. If it doesn't make money then no one can be paid. The public cannot stay loyal to a company if their workforce is prepared to ignore the public to get what they want when what they want is quite unreasonable......

Find another way is what I say.
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 18th December 2009, 10:47 am

Technicality or not, they broke the rules. They didn't play very fair at all.

I agree with the right to strike if it is a necessary step & there are no alternatives. People will put up with inconvenience IF they are striking for the right reasons. The bottom line in this case is that they are not striking for the right reasons & as such the public would've been needlessly affected by what is little more than greed & laziness.

BA would save £10 million if it cut executive pay. Guess what? They did that. BA bosses were working for free at one stage. It's a competitive market out there & they have to pay at least what other executives get. If not, those executives find better paying positions in other companies. If there are no executives then the business & the frontline staff disappear. How does that make sense?
And even if they did it again to save a further £10 million they would still need to find a way to save a further £130 odd million...... What would you suggest they do then? Raise fares? Laughing

A company lives or dies by its frontline staff. When a company is making profits the frontline staff gets rewards. When a company is losing money frontline staff are affected. Everyone employed by BA is paying the price. It may seem like it's only the frontline staff but that's because they are on the frontline in plain view. Behind the scenes people are being affected too. The frontline staff are just being told that now they have to work for their money instead of having a cushty job. As I said, if these employees worked for any other airline they would have to do more work than they are doing now for at least £9k LESS per year. The company isn't making a profit so the frontline staff can no longer reap the benefits of profits.

If I knew what the other way might be I would probably be earning £50K+ per year....... But then union bosses earn that & don't know another way either Dunno Fighting fire with fire only causes more to be burnt & at the moment the union is trying to fight common sense with bully boy tactics. What is being asked of the staff is NOT unreasonable. When the chips are down everyone involved feels the pinch. At the moment the chips are down so now is the time for the employees to help their company out by putting a little more in. Either that or they drag the company down meaning that they are out of a Job which strikes me as a bit of a pointless exercise Dunno
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 18th December 2009, 11:01 am

I'm not falling for the "company line" I'm just calling it as I see it with the facts available to me.

For me, the fact that they were prepared to strike at Christmas exposes a very cold heart and shows the union up for the bullies they are. The fact that they are preparing to strike at all over this strikes me as ludicrous.
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 22nd December 2009, 5:32 pm

That wasn't enough to save the company what they needed to get back on their feet. What they are proposing isn't bad. No pay cut, just bring your work up to scratch. Not much to expect from the highest paid staff in thier position in the business.

The weather problem won't last past tonight & I'm sure BA have a few flights going....

The great thing is that they were not held to ransom by greedy, ungrateful workshy staff. cheers
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 17th March 2010, 11:58 am

Here they go again! Rolling Eyes Are these people just trying to bring BA down?

The unions complain that staff are being bullied into accepting the conditions BA have put forward & in retaliation they decide to Bully BA into doing what they want. scratch That doesn't make sense to me. If anything I think the unions are the bullies here. At least BA have a reason for their proposals............

I think this is the beginning of the end for BA as I certainly won't risk booking a flight with them for any of the 3 holidays I'm planning for this year & I'm sure many will feel the same.

The sad thing is that they would've been my first choice without all this strike action........ Hope the cabin crew striking will be happy that they are ruining so many holidays & I hope they'll be happy sitting on the dole should the company fold.........
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones 19th March 2010, 3:14 pm

That's me never booking a flight with BA again Rolling Eyes 100,000 flights cancelled at a cost of about £27million. Great way to keep your job Rolling Eyes

Next up, trains over easter Rolling Eyes Seriously, these companies & unions are worse than bickering children in the playground Rolling Eyes Why can't they just have their battle without affecting people who have sweet FA to do with the argument? Dunno We work bloody hard too, in many cases harder & for less than what all of these lot earn.

Wankers, the lot of em Mad Mad Mad
Bones
Bones
Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum