Drunk driving

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Drunk driving

Post by Bones on 21st October 2009, 3:13 pm

markeymark wrote:it moraly wrong if you just had the one drink and then drive, if your a decent person you wouldnt put other at risk because of your selfness action

It's morally wrong to kill a person. I guess soldiers aren't decent people.......

Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog on 21st October 2009, 3:15 pm

markeymark wrote:it moraly wrong if you just had the one drink and then drive, if your a decent person you wouldnt put other at risk because of your selfness action

Now I know you to be a more understanding person than that so I’m guessing that you’ve been directly affected by drink driving. Would that be an accurate guess?

Froggy Style
Froggy Style

http://frognbones.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21st October 2009, 3:16 pm

NR_TOAB wrote:

It's morally wrong to kill a person. I guess soldiers aren't decent people.......

we talking about unreasonable actions like drink driving

to your question was it morally right what the para did on bloody sunday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21st October 2009, 3:19 pm

LP wrote:

Now I know you to be a more understanding person than that so I’m guessing that you’ve been directly affected by drink driving. Would that be an accurate guess?

myself i never been directly affected by drink driving

but i have known of people that have

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones on 21st October 2009, 3:21 pm

It's not unreasonable when you don't feel any different than normal. The amount of drink that it would actually take to affect your normal functions changes depending on the person. The amount of alcohol it would take to affect you is different from the amount it would take to affect me.......

It's also not unreasonable when you are incapable of rational thought, like in cases of emergencies. Very few people use rational thought processes in an emergency & if you can think rationally in an emergency then maybe it's not an emergency after all.......

Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog on 21st October 2009, 3:25 pm

markeymark wrote:
LP wrote:

myself i never been directly affected by drink driving

but i have known of people that have

That’s what I thought. What NR is saying here is that drink driving is wrong and shouldn’t be condoned (accepting your contention) but can you not see how sometimes a person could be in a situation so drastic that after weighing up the risks they feel that they have to break that law? Or would you see a father sent to jail for rushing to by the bedside of his child while they drew their last breath?

Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21st October 2009, 3:32 pm

but its is unreasonable when you don't feel any different than normals because you know by just having the one drink can still blur your judgement. myself sometimes can drink all night and not fill drunk and sometime i just have the one and fill merry, i would hate the thought i mane or killed because of my selfness getting behind the steeringwheel, its morally right to say no i catch a cab or walk

simple you dont but others at risk because of your situration, thinks of others not yourself

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones on 21st October 2009, 3:49 pm

Yeah, catch a cab or walk as long as everything is going to plan, which it always does in the real world of course. Rolling Eyes

Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21st October 2009, 3:52 pm

I would have sympathy with ANYONE who's child is desperately ill in hospital, I would understand thet any parent would want to get there as quickly as possible. I would have no sympathy for someone who drove there whilst drunk.
Can you imagine if that person killed someone elses child in his rush to be there? I think your sympathy for his predicament would fade a bit, especially if it was your child he killed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones on 21st October 2009, 3:56 pm

I would think to myself that in the same situation I would more than likely have taken the same risk. As a parent you are not expected to think rationally when your child is involved in an emergency.

Either way, my first post on this subject states that I could have sympathy as long as no one got hurt as a result.........

We all seem to be agreed that drinking & driving is wrong.
We all seem to agree that it shouldn't be done.

We are nearly agreeing that as long as no one gets hurst as a result we can have sympathy for someone over the limit, but in extreme circumstances.

Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21st October 2009, 3:56 pm

NR_TOAB wrote:Yeah, catch a cab or walk as long as everything is going to plan, which it always does in the real world of course. Rolling Eyes

i would i live in the real in the real world

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog on 21st October 2009, 3:58 pm

Syl wrote:I would have sympathy with ANYONE who's child is desperately ill in hospital, I would understand thet any parent would want to get there as quickly as possible. I would have no sympathy for someone who drove there whilst drunk.
Can you imagine if that person killed someone elses child in his rush to be there? I think your sympathy for his predicament would fade a bit, especially if it was your child he killed.

I suspect that this would increase my sympathy for the driver in question, not only has he lost his licence and ended up in jail he now has to deal with the guilt of a childs death whilst grieving for his own child. Not saying I condone it Syl but I think you'd have to be pretty hard hearted not to sympathise with that

Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones on 21st October 2009, 3:59 pm

And everything in your life has gone exactly as planned with no surprises, right Markey Rolling Eyes

Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21st October 2009, 4:03 pm

NR_TOAB wrote:I would think to myself that in the same situation I would more than likely have taken the same risk. As a parent you are not expected to think rationally when your child is involved in an emergency.

Either way, my first post on this subject states that I could have sympathy as long as no one got hurt as a result.........

We all seem to be agreed that drinking & driving is wrong.
We all seem to agree that it shouldn't be done.

We are nearly agreeing that as long as no one gets hurst as a result we can have sympathy for someone over the limit, but in extreme circumstances.

I'm with you on a lot of what you say in this thread NR but I still don't get this distinction you make on the sympathy for over the limit. Why would your sympathy quota alter if someone got hurt? the excess on the limit would remain the same! the risk would have remained the same! it would be the result that had altered, so this is why others have NO sympathy for the over limit!! scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog on 21st October 2009, 4:05 pm

Yay cheers Ty's here Very Happy

Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21st October 2009, 4:07 pm

NR_TOAB wrote:And everything in your life has gone exactly as planned with no surprises, right Rolling Eyes

far from it, have felt the pain and lost of loseing someone, and i would never take that chance of my selfness to put a family through it, and if my daughter was on her death bed she would know that

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21st October 2009, 4:09 pm

LP wrote:Yay cheers Ty's here Very Happy

Wink Lily Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog on 21st October 2009, 4:16 pm

Have a look at the 8 year old sex change thread Ty, I've been looking forward to your thoughts on it Very Happy

Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21st October 2009, 4:18 pm

LP wrote:
Syl wrote:I would have sympathy with ANYONE who's child is desperately ill in hospital, I would understand thet any parent would want to get there as quickly as possible. I would have no sympathy for someone who drove there whilst drunk.

I suspect that this would increase my sympathy for the driver in question, not only has he lost his licence and ended up in jail he now has to deal with the guilt of a childs death whilst grieving for his own child. Not saying I condone it Syl but I think you'd have to be pretty hard hearted not to sympathise with that

If someone killed my child, whilst driving drunk, I would care not a jot for the reason he/she was driving drunk, just that he/she was, and because of it, my child was gone.
If that was your child he had killed, and your sympathy for him has been increased, you and I are on different planets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21st October 2009, 4:30 pm

You see Syl, you are demonizing a person for mistaken judgement, for human frailty, for the grey area of life that most of us live in and that even the law takes account of. I too would feel some sympathy for the psychology of the person who had ended up killing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21st October 2009, 4:33 pm

LP wrote:Have a look at the 8 year old sex change thread Ty, I've been looking forward to your thoughts on it Very Happy

I'm keen to comment LP. My first thought was that I needed to have seen the piece first, which I'm hoping to do but I'll go read the thread Lily...

Back to top Go down

Post by Frog on 21st October 2009, 4:36 pm

Syl wrote:
LP wrote:

If someone killed my child, whilst driving drunk, I would care not a jot for the reason he/she was driving drunk, just that he/she was, and because of it, my child was gone.
If that was your child he had killed, and your sympathy for him has been increased, you and I are on different planets.

Sorry Syl I must have overlooked that last sentence. I would, of course, feel differently if it was my child that had been injured but that’s just the irrational protective emotions that come with being a parent, those same emotions that caused this hypothetical person to get behind the wheel anyway. If I am emotionally detached from the situation then I would sympathise with all parties equally.

Froggy Style
Froggy Style

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21st October 2009, 4:42 pm

Tytonidae wrote:You see Syl, you are demonizing a person for mistaken judgement, for human frailty, for the grey area of life that most of us live in and that even the law takes account of. I too would feel some sympathy for the psychology of the person who had ended up killing.
s

If a drunk driver kiled my child, I would'nt be 'demonizing' him/her Ty. I would be blaming him 100% for my childs death.
I would'nt care why or how he came to be driving whilst drunk, just that he was.
Sorry, to me its black and white.

If a person drives whilst drunk and gets there without incident, he has played russian roulette, and won....this time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones on 21st October 2009, 4:48 pm

Most parents wouldn't care if the person was drinking or not.....

All I'm aurguing here is that this is not as black & white as it's being made out to be......

Ty! cheers Nice to see you! To answer your question, I'm not actually sure. You see, in my mind if no one gets hurt then what a person does is their business. As long as no one is affected but the person themselves.

Dark & Demented
Dark & Demented

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21st October 2009, 5:16 pm

Ever heard the phrase mitigating circumstances)

I dont think I have ever heard of anyone charged with a drink driving offence "get off" the charge with any "mitigating circumstances", People that have been seen as a suspect drink driving case, have been arrested in their own home and they offered the excuse they had a drink as soon as they had got indoors, but have still been arrested.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top